We are The MAZI Project
This is an exciting opportunity to join our board as Chair of Trustees for a new Bristol based Charity striving to empower disadvantaged young people through food.
Together with Bristol’s independent food sector, local community and partner charities we create an inclusive environment for vulnerable young people to experience the power of food and feel part of Bristol’s thriving community. We use the dinner table and the notion of breaking bread to help reduce isolation, build confidence and make those in need feel cared for and extraordinary.
To empower and nourish Bristol’s disadvantaged 16 – 25 year olds through food.
A city where access to fresh, sustainable food and the education around food is not a privilege.
Be extraordinary and make others feel extraordinary.
Change the way people think about themselves, our planet and others.
It’s in our name, by working together we can help create the change we want to see.
Be thoughtful, caring and put a whole lot of love in everything you do.
The MAZI Project is seeking to appoint a Chair of Trustees.
- The Chair will hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of The MAZI Project
- The Chair will also support the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely to achieve agreed objectives. He or she will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive.
- Strategic leadership – provide leadership to the charity and its Board, ensuring that the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries.
- Ensure that Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the Charity.
- Ensure that the Board operates within its charitable objectives and provides a clear strategic direction for The MAZI Project.
- Ensure that the Board is able to regularly review major risks and associated opportunities and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities and manage and mitigate the risks..
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the charity, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability.
- Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way for the Charity.
- Develop the knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees.
Encourage positive change where appropriate and address and resolve any conflicts within the Board.
- Appraise the performance of the Trustees and the Board on an annual basis.
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees is regularly refreshed and incorporates the right balance of skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the charity effectively and which also reflects the wider population.
- Work within any agreed policies adopted by the charity.
- Act as an ambassador for the cause of food poverty in Bristol and The MAZI Project.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate.
- Represent the charity at external functions, meetings and events.
- Facilitate change and address any potential conflict with external stakeholders.
Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process.
- Ensure that Trustees are fully engaged and that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the Charity and that the Board takes collective ownership.
- Foster, maintain and ensure that constructive relationships exist with and between the Trustees.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive to give direction to Board policy-making and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of trustees.
- Monitor that decisions taken at meetings are implemented.
Relationship with the MAZI’s managing director (MD) and the Wider Management Team
- Establish and build a strong, effective and a constructive working relationship with the MD, ensuring she is held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives.
- Support the MD, whilst respecting the boundaries which exist between the two roles.
- Ensure regular contact with the MD and develop and maintain an open and supportive relationship within which each can speak openly about concerns, worries and challenges.
- Conduct an annual appraisal and remuneration review for the MDin consultation with other Trustees.
- Ensure that the MD has the opportunity for professional development and has appropriate external professional support.
We offer a full induction, along with ongoing training and development opportunities. All reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
What we’re looking for:
- You will have a proven, professional track record of leadership.
- You will share our vision and ambition to take a leading role in our journey to be recognised as an outstanding organisation.
- A broad knowledge and understanding of the Food & Youth sector & current issues affecting it.
- Ideally, you will have experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
The expected time of commitment over the course of a year is:
- Four evenings for Board meetings (typically two hours each).
- An annual strategy day (typically two hours).
- Four sub-Committee meetings (typically two hours).
- At least one session volunteering at the weekly aMAZIng food box packing in Southville.
Preparation is required for reading reports and meeting papers. Trustees are also invited to attend charity events.
How to apply:
Please send a letter of application, stating why you wish to join The MAZI Project and what contribution you think you will be able to make to strengthen and develop The MAZI Project, together with your CV to the Director, Melanie Vaxevanakis by email: email@example.com. One of the trustees would be happy to discuss the position with you before you apply.
We are committed to having a Board that represents the people we work alongside in our services. We welcome all applications, including those from under-represented backgrounds.
Whether you are an experienced trustee or wanting to take your first step at Board level, if you have the enthusiasm, insight and commitment to help us increase our reach and impact, then we would like to hear from you. We have a firm commitment to encouraging fairness and diversity in our work force and we welcome applications from disabled people and those from BAME backgrounds.
The expected commitment would be a 2-3 year term.